Singapore: What Everyone Calls Fine


Singapore: What Everyone Calls Fine


Travel Dates: September 19, 2014 to September 21, 2014


A Very Very Brief Background: 

Singapore, ahhh Singapura, small Southeast Asian city state that you are! I’ve always wanted to go to Singapore because of incessant Facebook pictures I see from some friends going there with their Universal Studios, Merlion, and Marina Bay images. Yes, these things excited me towards seeing the famous country known for its high GDP and expensive cost of living. But I was more excited with the fact that I was going to have fun in a different country.

Additionally, we prepped ourselves for some precaution while traveling to SG. We made sure we knew very important rules there such as no eating of bubble gum, no smoking everywhere, no throwing of trash everywhere and no eating on trains and other public transportation. Other rules include no bringing of guns otherwise you will be hanged. Their rules are so strict and if you break any of its rules you will be fined with very expensive fees.(How i wish my country was this strict.)

Departing the Country
Me and two of my travel buddies Tweety and Tanzy all hail from Dumaguete. We had no choice but to drive (Tweety’s dad was the driver) to Cebu to get to the airport. Although our flight for Singapore was still at night we decided to travel to Cebu early in the morning. Our 20 minute ferry ride and 3 hour car drive was smooth and fun. We stayed at Ayala Mall while waiting for the afternoon. At 4 pm we had to drive to Mactan International Airport. 

Our adventure officially began at Mactan International Airport in Cebu, Philippines. My heart was enthused and scared because we were going on a three hour flight (the longest I’ve been). But, when I realized that we had to pay 1600 pesos for taxes and 550 pesos for terminal fee, I suddenly had apnea. I knew my country is so amazing that it always shock locals and foreigners alike. Setting this issue aside (I just feel the need to let readers know), we boarded (all 9 of us including Tweety’s parents) Cebu Pacific at 7:55 pm and arrived at the beautiful Changi International Airport at around 11:25 pm.


Our gorgeous ticket

The Airport
In my dialect Changi means market. But the word market would have to be a total affront for the majestic Changi Airport Singapore. It was the most comforting airport I have been to. All walkalators were functioning and the mood was very welcoming. The orchids display on the lobby was breathtaking. I mean, I am not a fan of orchids but orchids on an airport? Come on, they had to be considered gorgeous. Besides the welcoming orchids, staffs walking around were very hospitable with their smiles and helpful information when asked for directions. Before we exited the airport we made sure we had some US dollars exchanged to Singaporean dollars. 

The Currency

Singapore moves by SGD or Singapore dollar. Typically its exchange rate to our currency the Philippine peso is 1 SGD = 35 PhP give or take and exchange rates from USD to SGD is 1 USD = 1.27 SGD give or take. Thereby, when moving around the country, it is of course ideal to use its currency.
Moreover, one of the taxi drivers we met told us that Brunei notes and coins can also be used around the country without even exchanging them for SGD. Why is this so? This is because Brunei and Singapore has a currency interchangeability agreement. This means that both countries’ currencies issued by the other and to exchange them without any charges. Thus, 1 is to 1.

 The Food

Food in Singapore is just like any food we tasted. this was because we longed for food that our pallets already knew of such as McDonalds (lol). We were not really adept towards tasting any unique SG foods except for their famous Haianese chicken which we got to taste at China Town. Food hunting was not in our itinerary since we were so excited for the day's activities. However,  i got to taste some street ice cream which was really good. We never even got the the chance to go to SGs' best hawkers but to shedding some positive light into it - there is always a next time. Good thing though was we got to eat on VivoCity's food court and had some shots at some bar at Clark Quay.









The Taxi
When we exited the airport, we opted to take the taxi because it was more economical instead of the airport shuttle and there were no more trains available by the time we arrived. I was again amazed with another SG fact – Taxi rates differ depending on the kind of car you are using and taxi rates double if it’s over 12 midnight. Thereby, since we arrived at midnight our rates to our inn doubled. Here is a list if Singapore Taxi rates
Basic fare
Normal
Flag-Down (inclusive of 1st km or less)
$3.00-$3.40
$3.90
$5.00
Every 400m thereafter or less up to 10km
$0.22
$0.22
$0.33
Every 350 metres thereafter or less after 10 km
$0.22
$0.22
$0.33
Every 45 secs of waiting or less
$0.22
$0.22
$0.33

Since only 4 passengers were allowed per taxi and there were 11 of us (including Tweety’s cousin and partner who met us at the airport) we had to take taxis. We paid around $10 in average going to the inn.
With all honesty, Singapore taxis are so clean and reliable. Taxi drivers almost always know your given destination thanks to their GPS screens on board. Moreover, all taxi drivers we met were so friendly even that driver who claimed to have been to the Philippines and was imprisoned in Iloilo for drug trafficking and illegal possession of firearms (his honesty creep us out).

MRT and LRT rides


The MRT pass

Singapore has one of the best transportation systems in the world. Its subway system is very organized. Unlike in the Philippines, where I can sometimes see people pushing each other in lines, SG has the most disciplined people. You will never be stressed out when queuing for MRT tickets or rides.
Each MRT or LRT commuter is charged a fare according to total distance travelled. Here is a link of the MRT network map. http://www.smrt.com.sg/Trains/NetworkMap.aspx. You need a smart card to access the trains. You can opt for a standard ticket (for one time travel only), tourist passes, or senior citizen and student passes. In order to get these passes you can apply (SG for students, PWD, and senior citizens) or use the GTM (General Ticketing Machine).The GTM will automatically display your ticket fare when you have entered your destinations.  


If my memory serves me right, typical rates per station is $1.20 and that you need to have at least $3 in your smartcard to pass the fare gate.
 Moreover, if you are traveling by group you can calculate your fare if it is more economical and convenient to take the taxi or the train. In our case we took the taxi when we wanted to be dropped at our destination’s doorstep.

The Backpackers Inn          



http://www.betelbox.com/




We were all very lucky to have booked a room in one of Singapore’s busiest seasons. We were supposed to book a room at the Fullerton Bay Hotel but sadly it was full (as if!) Luckily, Tweety’s cousin managed to book as a room at Betel Box. It was a cozy backpackers inn where we got to enjoy basic amenities. It even served free breakfast of unlimited toast and coffee. We were not fully fledged backpackers but it was at that moment when we appreciated the experience of meeting strangers of varied nationalities in a common room and for some of us, sharing a room with complete strangers. Plus, the owner and manager were so accommodating.

Sentosa: Please Spend a Whole Day Here         
   



Train Fare to Sentosa: $4 (two way)                       
Universal Studios entrance fee: adult $73 (non Mastercard/Citi Bank card holders)          
Adult $63 (Mastercard/Citi Bank card holders) [We used this option because we had             cards and it was a great deal]
Luge and Skyline Fee: $23 (good for 3 rides)


Primarily, I thought Sentosa was a single attraction but it was an attraction with many attractions. Sentosa is actually an island resort. It is home to fort Siloso, Resorts World, and Universal Studios. Considering itself as the “State of Fun” the island is indeed packed with adventures and great memory providers.
There are many ways to get to Sentosa either by cable car, by foot, MRT, or the Sentosa Express.  As for us we took the MRT to VivoCity lobby L level 3, where we boarded the Sentosa Express. For us, this was the easiest access to the island. There are card machines where you can buy train tickets for just $4 back and forth. Tickets to specific attractions can be purchased at the lobby or you can buy them at your destination. As for us, we bought our tickets at our desired attractions. Our first stop was Universal Studios.








How the Universal Studios ticket looks like

Universal Studios was a superb memory. It’s actually a theme park that will trap you in the movies. I have been to Enchanted Kingdom (the best theme park my country offers) but this was of course ten times better. We only had the afternoon there but the rides we took were awe-inspiring. My recommended picks would have to be Steven Spielberg’s Lights! Camera! Action!, Transformers, and the Mummy. In the Steven Spielberg’s attraction, we got to be the audience for a supposed to be movie scene shoot. In Transformers (regardless of the one hour queue) we got to have a 3D experience with the robots and in the Mummy we had a gut busting 3 to 5 minute roller coaster ride. I could say that if ever you are in Singapore and your purpose is leisure, you should never miss out Universal Studious in your list especially when you have kids with you.







Our next stop was Merlion Park. We were excited to go there because we all wanted to experience the Luge and Skyline. At first I was hesitant because I have never tried it before and I was afraid of heights let alone a cable ride. But hey, that was a vacay and I had to do it. We had our Luge experience at around 6 pm since we were supposed to do it at 4 pm but it was raining. However, we were glad that we rode it at night because the lights were breathtaking especially when we rode the Skyline cable and the trail looked more challenging. From up above it had a spectacular view of the SG port.




At the Luge and Skyline


It ain't so scary after all

Yes, I admit that I was afraid to ride the Skyline cable because my shoes would fall off and that maybe I would fall off. But I had to keep my cool because this kid on the seat behind us was smiling and laughing all the way. For more information about the Luge and Skyline adventure please feel free to follow the link http://www.skylineluge.com/luge-singapore/skyline-luge-sentosa/ .
At Merlion Park


After enjoying Sentosa, we all had a short stopover at the Marina Bay where we had the obligatory water spitting Merlion picture. The rain was not even a hassle to our picture taking ordeals. While all cameras were half soaked we headed back to our inn.





China Town
The only Chinatown I have been to before was at Davao City. I have to admit, based on that china town and the other Chi towns I’ve seen on TV, Singapore was probably the coziest and most appealing. I loved the fact that the stalls were so organized and it was WiFi. We ate at it’s awesome food street where we got to choose the best Chinese looking food offered. I did not know what I had but I think it satisfied my famished nerves.  We bought our required pasalubongs there (I heart SG key holders) and then made our way to Gardens by the Bay.



At China Town





Having lunch at food street


Some good beer we found at China Town
Gardens by the Bay
Entrance Fee: $16 (one dome only)
                       $23 (two domes)


This structure was something new to my eye. It was here where I saw different vegetation from different continents of the world. The first dome features wondrous plant displays. It was so cozy that I wanted to tie a hammock in between the date trees and just hang lose.






Gardens by the Bay was by far one of the most picturesque natural looking scenery we’ve encountered in Singapore. Moreover, it was also here where we saw and shook hands with “the Gold Ferrari.”

Singapore F1 Grand Prix                
Ticket: $186
Food: $15          
Survival kit (raincoat and ear plugs): $4

The Grand Prix was a prestigious annual Singapore event. Thousands traveled to the country to witness and experience the grand event. This year was made more special because we were there (lol).  None of us knew anything about the date of the grand prix. Luckily I saw an ad online and it was like a God sent sign. The event was exactly on our travel dates. My friend Tweety got all of us a ticket online which was a bit expensive but was well worth it.



We were more than lucky to witness the Porsche race before the F1 parade.




so many long legged white people..lol


On the day, September 21, we were more than excited to go the Marina Bay Circuit to witness the grand event. We felt like we were foreigners in a flock of Caucasian tourists and audience.  I was not really an F1 fan and the only racer I knew was Hamilton (because he was Nicole Scherzinger’s boyfriend). Good thing there was a parade before the race commenced and we got to know almost each one of them.


The Champion


When the event started I was in great awe. I didn’t actually know that cars could go that fast. Leaves fell off from trees because of the speed  the cars generated. I admit, after a few rounds of seeing fast cars pass by my eyes felt droopy. I waited for a car to fly in front of us and break into pieces. But that didn’t happen while I was there. And so in the middle of the race most of my friends decided to go to the concert area and position themselves at the fan zone. Tweety, Melai and I gladly followed after an hour. And oh, Hamilton won the race. (hurrah!)


J.Lo: Oh the Booty         
The great thing about F1 grand Prix is that there are concerts in different zones. In our zone, J. Lo was the designated performer. Thousands of people were already flocking the concert area when we arrived but thank goodness the fan zone was not yet full and that we already had our friends positioned there. Oh yeah, the stage was so near that I could see J.Lo’s butt shaking. And Oh Yeah, when the concert started, I decided to get a femur transplant someday to increase my height a little bit because the people in front of me were over 6 foot two inches. Annoying them with my screams was the best gesture I did to get them off my viewing path (which worked by the way).









The tall men and the short "me" somewhere below. lol



Fan Zone before the concert
J.Lo was divine. I never thought a forty plus year old could shake her booty that hard. She was of course a perfect dancer and overall performer. Her butt was like a symbol that can unite nations (lol). It’s like telling us that “hey my but can wiggle this much so all you lazy people better move your bodies.”

After the concert, we headed back to Betel Box at around 12:30 am and got our backpacks because we had an early 7 am flight to Malaysia. We washed up a bit and went directly to Changi where we slept on the chairs and on the floors while waiting for our flight. Of course we ate at the airport and splurged our change at McDonalds. 

Capping up Singapore, it was a wonderful city, a city where I will never be afraid to get lost at. It’s probably the only place I’ve been to where I haven’t sneezed a bit. I will definitely go back to Singapore if the great gods allow me to. Next time, I will bring my kids to Sentosa and splurge more memories there.


Next time I'll have my kids beside me on this pic :)
Next stop: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinayun-an, Mabinay: A Walk in the Clouds

Dao Shall Come Here: That Laid Back Waterfall In Samboan, Cebu

Masungi: Nature's Showcase of Wonder and Beauty